Public Works Department
We Plan, Design, Execute and Maintain the Public Buildings.
We provide Quality Services for Safe and Purposeful Public buildings at Reasonable Cost utilizing best evolved practices and advanced technologies.
The Public Works Department of Tamil Nadu is a state government owned authority, and is in charge of public sector works in the State of Tamil Nadu. It is part of the Ministry of Public Works Department, and is entrusted with the construction and maintenance of buildings for most of the government departments and public undertakings, and the construction of bridges, roads, and infrastructure. The Public Works Department [PWD] is the oldest department in Tamil Nadu, and was founded during British Raj during 1800. It became a government body in 1858.
This Department was intended primarily for the following purposes:
- To maintain and upkeep of structural and non-structural components of irrigation facilities
- To develop new additional projects, structures, etc., to augment potential sources for irrigation
- To maintain, upkeep and develop buildings for the State
- To maintain and upkeep of navigation and drainage facilities
- To maintain and upkeep and to build conveyance facilities by way of roads for the agricultural produce to be moved to the interior, rail heads, ports, etc.
- To identify, investigate, formulate and estimate feasible and viable irrigation projects so that there is always a shelf of projects to implement the policy, promises and the programmes of the Government
- To conduct tests and research activities in construction materials and hydraulics and hydrology;
- To conduct tests and studies on the potentials and properties of ground water
- Plan, Design, Estimate and Execute the Public Buildings such as Schools, Hospitals, Collectorates, Courts, Prisons, Memorials, works related to natural calamities like Tsunami Reconstruction, Cyclone Shelters, etc., and Conservation of Heritage Buildings.
- Award contract for works in a transparent manner by adopting e-tendering
- Undertake preventive maintenance and repairs.
- Extend services such as Water Supply, Electricity, Air Conditioning, Lifts and fire fighting, Drainage, Rain Water Harvesting and Horticulture.
- Take up consultation in selected building activities such as renovation of the distressed buildings etc.
- Redress the grievances received from the citizens directly or through the Chief Minister’s Cell.
- Ensure all the Building Practices in the Department conforming to I.S. Codes
The Public Works Department of Tamil Nadu is a state government owned authority, and is in charge of public sector works in the State of Tamil Nadu. It is part of the Ministry of Public Works Department, and is entrusted with the construction and maintenance of buildings for most of the government departments and public undertakings, and the construction of bridges, roads, and infrastructure. The Public Works Department [PWD] is the oldest department in Tamil Nadu, and was founded during British Raj during 1800. It became a government body in 1858. The Public Works Department functions under the control of Secretary to Government and deals with policy making on all matters concerning the Building organisations and Water Resources Organisation of the State
Here it is not out of place to mention that successive Governments were rightly keen in creating water resources assets in furtherance of irrigation and agriculture by way of building dams, reservoirs, canals and numerous cross masonry structures like barrages, weirs, regulators, dykes, outlets, etc. Further, more objectives were added in the recent past. Having harnessed the surface irrigation potential to 95% [12387 M cum], the Department’s main function has turned to be that efficient management, utilization and distribution of scarce water resources. To work towards achieving equitable distribution of water resources for irrigation with respect to spatial and temporal distribution of the available quantum; To instill participatory Irrigation Management [PIM] by creation of Farmers Association and supporting system through NGOs. While sanctioning the projects, the World Bank contemplated the idea of strengthening the institution and creation of expertise in the Department having the officials as well as farmers.
To carryout the building activities for various departments and at different locations in the State as well. The Public Works Department has a wide spread network of offices as indicated below:-
- One Chief Engineer as Head of the Department in Chennai with technical support of speciality units of ‘Architecture’ headed by Chief Architect and of ‘Designs’ headed by Superintending Engineer at the Head office.
- Eleven Circles and 41 Divisions headed by Superintending Engineers and Executive Engineers respectively for executing Civil Construction and Maintenance works.
- Three Circles at Chennai, Salem and Madurai and 7 Divisions under the control of Superintending Engineers and Executive Engineers respectively to execute Electrical works.
- One Special Division headed by Executive Engineer in Chennai for collection and dissemination of updated technology and information of latest building materials.
- A Building Research Station headed by Executive Engineer is located in Chennai for training the Engineers to acquire knowledge in advanced technologies and innovations and for carrying out research activities. Contact details of officers are furnished in Annexure I.
PROCEDURE FOR AVAILING THE SERVICES TO THE PUBLIC
Registration as Contractors
- Prescribed qualifications for Perspective Contractors
- Financial capacity.
- Experience in the Building activities
- Solvency Certificate for the immovable property
- Charges for Registration
Works are entrusted to the registered Contractor’s only.
Choice and Consultation
The registration can be done in the respective Circles by Superintending Engineers in consultation with the Executive Engineers in appropriate class depending on their financial capacity, experience, etc.Class Iabove Rs.75 lakhClass IIupto Rs.75 lakhClass IIIupto Rs.30 lakhClass IVupto Rs.15 lakhClass VuptoRs. 6 lakh
Non discrimination and accessibility
The Superintending Engineer, PWD, Buildings or the Executive Engineers act with Non Discrimination as per guide lines given by the Government and their offices are well spread over the state.
Expectations of the organisation from citizen for the fulfillment of the above commitment
Filled up application along with the copies of documents like, solvency for the required value, experience certificate and details in support of financial capacity, etc., and original of particulars for verification, are to be given to the Executive Engineers or the Superintending Engineers, as the case may be.
Procedures for Issue of Tender Schedule
The required documents for tendering the rates for the works, on contract basis, will be issued then and there for construction or maintenance of buildings.
Standards of service
The availability of this service will be intimated to the citizen in the following mode:
- issuing tender notices by post to the registered contractors.
- By displaying the tender notices in notice board of PWD offices.
- By publishing tender notice in the Daily News magazines, both in Tamil & English and on dedicated Website.
- By publishing the tender notice in the weekly Bulletin published by the Director of Information and Publicity, Secretariat, Chennai, or by weekly bulletin published by the Collector in the Local areas according to the value of works. Calling of tenders, is being done as stipulated in the Tender Transparency Act.
Choice and Consultation
The details of this services can be had from the Superintending Engineer or the Executive Engineer.
Problems can be solved by contacting the respective Executive Engineer or Superintending Engineers of this Department in person.
Cost / Charges
On receipt of the information of Tender notice, the contractor should give a written request for the tender schedule along with the challan for the cost of Tenders. The tender schedule will be issued to the Contractor on receipt of the requisition. The cost / charges and mode of payment will be informed in the notice inviting tenders depending on the value of the works to be executed.
Other Services to Public
Structural stability of the Public building
The owner of the building like private school buildings, cinema theatres etc., can seek this service from Superintending Engineer, Planning & Designs Circle, Chennai for Public Safety, or for obtaining Government of India fund by paying necessary charges for the same. This certificate is normally given based on I.S. codes.
Rent Reasonableness of Buildings
The owner who let out his building for Rent for Government purpose can approach the Executive Engineer concerned for fixing reasonable rent and to know the time interval between the fixations of the rent.
Stability of stages for public meeting
The citizen as a member of the Association or Organisation while conducting the meeting that will be attended by V.V.I.Ps., can seek for this from the Executive Engineers concerned.
The service regarding materials – testing, special constructions, renovation and rehabilitation of distressed buildings etc. is provided by the Superintending Engineer, Planning & Designs Circle, Chennai on selective basis based on the men and material available in the department at the time of request.
Disposal of complaints relating to Public Works Department addressed to the Chief Ministe’s Special Cell
Anyone who has given a complaint to the Chief Minister’s Cell can avail the services regarding their grievances by approaching the Nodal Officer viz. Deputy Chief Engineer(Buildings) at Chepauk, Chennai-5.
SERVICES FOR THE GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS.
- All the Government departments can approach PWD for the construction and the maintenance of the buildings required for them through appropriate channels.
- The Government departments shall convey their requirements, get the proposals from Public Works Department and obtain financial sanction from the Government for executing the works.
UNDERTAKING DEPOSIT WORKS
The department undertakes deposit works for the Quasi Governmental Organizations, Societies, Industries based on their request. For this, centage charges will be collected at a fixed percentage of the value of the works as decided by the Government.
SERVICES UNDER RIGHT TO INFORMATION ACT
Those who apply for getting information under the Right to Information Act can approach the appropriate authorities of the concerned area. The list of Public Information Officers and the Appellate Authorities .
HOW CITIZENS CAN HELP US TO SERVE PEOPLE BETTER
- Only eligible contractors should participate even though the tender schedule is sold to every one who is willing to tender.
- The procedures stipulated by the department are to be followed to have the full benefit of the service and the citizens may avoid claims which do not match with the working procedures of the Department.
- For any grievances, the citizens may approach the concerned officers first and get the problems sorted out and can opt for taking the matter further to the higher authorities only on genuine cases.
- Any feed back on the working procedures can be suggested by the citizens for improving the efficiency and the activities of the Public Works Department for the benefit of the people at large.
Building Construction and Maintanence Division
The Buildings Construction and Maintenance Division office at Nagapattinam was formed as per G.O.Ms.No.B.5/PW/D2/ dt.01-04-1997 and Go.Ms.No.373/PW/D2/dt.27-06-1997 with effect from 16-07-1997.
This Buildings Construction and Maintenance Division, Office, Nagapattinam has four Sub Divisional Offices as detailed below.
- Buildings Construction Sub Division, Nagapattinam.
- Buildings Maintenance Sub Division, Nagapattinam.
- Buildings Construction Sub Division, Mayiladuthurai.
- Buildings Maintenance Sub Division, Mayiladuthurai.
water resources Orgnanization
Public Works Department is executing and maintaining all the Government buildings and all Irrigation Projects such as Dams, Canals, Tanks multifarious works such as construction of buildings, roads, bridges, culverts, water harvesting structures, implementation and maintenance of water supply in rural areas.
- To maintain and upkeep of structural and non-structural components of irrigation facilities;
- To develop new additional projects, structures, etc., to augment potential sources for irrigation;
- To maintain, upkeep and develop buildings for the State;
- To maintain and upkeep of navigation and drainage facilities;
- To maintain and upkeep and to build conveyance facilities by way of roads for the agricultural produce to be moved to the interior, rail heads, ports, etc.;
- To identify, investigate, formulate and estimate feasible and viable irrigation projects so that there is always a shelf of projects to implement the policy, promises and the programmes of the Government;
- To conduct tests and research activities in construction materials and hydraulics and hydrology;
- To conduct tests and studies on the potentials and properties of ground water.