Social welfare is of prime importance to government because of the inclusion of the term socialist in the preamble of the constitution. For ensuring equality and justice for all sections of society, a variety of social welfare interventions and schemes are necessary.
- The various welfare schemes for empowerment of women, children, third gender and aged persons are implemented by the Social Welfare and Nutritious Meal Programme Department through the Commissionerate of Social Welfare, Directorate of Social Defence and the Director cum Mission Director, Integrated Child Development Services Scheme. This Department also functions as a nodal agency for various Social Security Programmes implemented through the Revenue Department.
- Flagship welfare measures like Marriage Assistance Schemes, Girl Child Protection Scheme, Variety meals and four sets uniform are implemented. Service Homes for the protection of destitute, deserted women and for young girls rescued from Child Marriage have been established and the protection of the women and children in distress are taken care of. To provide safety and security to working women who are away from their homes, to stay in a safe environment with amenities at affordable rates, 28 Working Women Hostels are functioning in the State. Training and self-employment of women are thrust areas and 97 Women Tailoring Industrial Co-operative Societies run by the Commissionerate of Social Welfare provide gainful employment for women. The welfare of the third gender and the weak, abandoned and desperate Senior Citizens are also given care and protection by implementing various welfare schemes.
- Two flagship schemes relating to nutritional security for children viz., Puratchi Thalaivar MGR Nutritious Meal Programme provides hot and tasty cooked variety meal to 55.15 lakh school children from Standard I to X. The Integrated Child Development Services Scheme which is implemented by the Director cum Mission Director of Integrated Child Development Services scheme, provides a comprehensive package for children in the age group 0-6 years by giving supplementary nutrition, hot and tasty cooked variety meals as mid-day meals, health care and pre-school education. Pregnant and lactating mothers are also provided with supplementary nutrition besides health education and 2 awareness under Integrated Child Development Services Scheme. Adolescent Girls Programmes like SABLA and Kishori Sakthi Yojana satisfy nutrition, health and training needs so as to develop them into a healthy and self-reliant young women.
- The Directorate of Social Defence is implementing many schemes, particularly focusing on children in need of care and protection and children in conflict with law. The Directorate also implements schemes for women in moral danger.
- The Social Welfare and Nutritious Meal Programme Department implements and monitors several social legislations for the care, welfare and protection of children, women and senior citizens. These include, the Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961, Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, 2005, Immoral Traffic (Prevention) Act, 1956, Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015, Prohibition of Child Marriage Act, 2006, Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007, Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012 (POCSO), Protection of Women from Sexual Harassment at Work Place Act, 2013 and Tamil Nadu Hostels and Homes for Women and Children (Regulation) Act, 2014.
Every district has a District Social Welfare Officer who is entrusted to effective implementation of following acts and provisions.
- The Prohibition Of Child Marriage Act 2006
- Registration Of All Child Care Institutions Under The Juvenile Justice Act 2000.
- The Maintenance And Welfare Of Parents And Senior Citizens Act, 2007
- Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961
Some of the important schemes are as follows
Sivagami Ammaiyar Ninaivu Girl child production Assistance
The objectives of this scheme are to prevent female infanticide, discourage preference for male child and to promote family planning. This scheme also ensures equal opportunity in education for girl children on par with male children.
Under scheme I an amount of Rs.22,200/- is deposited in Tamil Nadu Power Finance and infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd., Chennai in the name of the girl child, if there is only one girl child in the family with no other male child in the family and when either of the parents has undergone sterilization before the age of 35 years. A monthly payment of Rs. 150/- is released to the children. from the interest accrued from the deposit to take care of the education of the child from standard I to x. On the 20th year of the deposit the terminal benefit is released to the girl to enable her to pursue higher education or to defray the marriage expenses.
Under Scheme II in case of families with two girl children and no male child, an initial deposit of Rs. 15,200/-is made with Tamil Nadu Power Finance and Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd., for each of the girl children by the Government. A monthly payment of about Rs.150/- is made from the interest accrued from the deposit to take care of the education of each child from Standard I to X. Each of the two girl children will be eligible for a terminal benefit from the deposit with accrued interest on the 20th year of deposit. This will enable them to pursue their higher studies or to defray their marriage expenses.
Moovalur Ramamirtham Ammaiyar Ninaivu Marriage Assistance Scheme
To raise the education status of the poor girls who have Completed 10th std., the Tamil Nadu Government is implementing the Moovalur Ramamirtham Ammaiyar memorial marriage assistance scheme.
The Scheme has been implemented from 1989 onwards as per G.O.M.S.No. 515 S.W.D dated 31.05.1989
Annai thersa Orphan Girl Marriage Assistance Scheme
Tamil Nadu Government is implementing Annai Theresa ninaivu orphan girl marriage assistance scheme to help the orphan girls for getting their marriage
As per G.O.No. 820 S.W.D dated 20.03.1985 and Government order 127 S.W.D dated 01.10.2001 the Scheme has been implemented.